Three years ago the NMEA consolidated its many award categories into just seven, with "Communications" being one of those categories. There are a lot of cutting-edge products, including satellite communications, in the Communications category. Yet Icom has won the category three years running (2006 = IC-M504, 2007 & 2008 = IC-M604) with marine VHF, a 'mature' product. "The name Icom has always stood for quality and reliability within the marine community, and the community has responded by awarding Icom with this honor", says Icom America's National Marine Sales Manager, Rick Waedekin. "There may be cheaper radios on the market, but you get what you pay for. In the end, it is the quality product and personal service Icom provides that proves the best value. And the M604 is the best marine radio anyone can buy, period."
This is Icom’s 21st NMEA award. The NMEA industry awards recognize excellence in design, performance and reliability in marine electronics products. The awards are selected by votes from marine electronics dealers, distributors and other industry professionals.
M604 feature highlights:
- Class D DSC
- 5 Watts of acoustically tuned receiver audio
- 30 Watt hailer and 4 pattern foghorn
- Icom’s “receiver-repeater” feature
- Favorite channel feature
- NMEA standard 0183 in/out for easy connection to third-party GPS units
- Front panel and rear panel speaker mic connection points
- Large LCD display with seven backlighting levels
- All U.S., Canadian and International channels
- Submersible construction (IPX7)
- AquaQuake feature moves water away from the speaker
- Military rugged construction (MIL STD 810 C, D, E, F for temperature, shock, vibration, dust, water, humidity, etc
- Accepts up to two optional COMANDMICIII™ remote control / intercom stations which offer full control of the M604 from afar, even DSC